Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Is It Just Me, Or, Is It Just Me?

I spent several hours yesterday at County Commissioner meetings. They held two back-to-back meetings on different topics. The first meeting dealt with local forest issues, and an overview of the local marijuana market. The second meeting was a joint meeting of the County Commissioners and representatives from most of the cities within Benton County to discuss water issues.

Now, as a candidate for County Commissioner, I felt I couldn't miss these. After all, forest issues (stupid timber lawsuit or no stupid timber lawsuit) are important locally. And the still new and forming pot marketplace and its associated issues have impacts locally, statewide, and, per some of the things that came up yesterday, nationwide. Both those issues touch on the environment, the economy, public safety, etc.

As for water issues, well, that's also a subject that has big local impacts. If we have water problems, we have big problems. I thought it was also significant because it was a gathering of the various municipalities involved, which is the kind of discussion/collaboration I am all for. So, as I said, as a candidate for the job of County Commissioner, I felt like I couldn't miss those meetings.

Obviously I was the only candidate who felt that way, because, once again, I was the only County Commissioner candidate who was there. In fact, I was essentially the only member of the public who was there. And it wasn't the first time. Whenever I've gone to a County Commissioner meeting, it is rare to see members of the public there - and I've never seen another County Commissioner candidate there. Never.

Now, part of the problem is likely that the meetings are always at an inconvenient time. Yesterday these meetings started at 9:00 AM, and went straight through until after noon. Or, as that's also known, the middle of the work day. (I had to take time off from work to be there myself.) That makes it tough for members of the public to just come on down, and that factor severely, if not totally, eliminates the public oversight that a governing body like that needs to be informed and credible. Without public oversight, face to face contact with voters, and regular feedback, I just don't know how much credibility the County Commissioners have. It's easy to get out of touch, and/or rely too much on staff recommendations. And that might be how we've arrived at a place where our all-Democrat County Commissioners often vote like they're Republicans.

As for all those Democrats who are currently running for County Commissioner...Wow. It's pretty disappointing how little time even they seem to invest in watching what the County Commissioners are doing. Maybe they feel like since they're all Democrats, they're all on the same page already? I don't know what's up with that. All I do know is that, when you've got meetings like they had yesterday, on topics like those, it sure seems like campaign malpractice to not show up at all. (Though, the truth is, that's pretty much par for the course so far as I can - literally - see. As mentioned, I've never seen any other candidate at any of the County Commissioner meetings I've attended. In conversation with one of the Democratic candidates, they blithely referred to the one time they attended a County Commissioner meeting, as though it was something you just have to observe once to "get it.")

This lack of attendance mirrors the lack of a presence from the Democratic candidates that I've seen at other large, notable and important public events or meetings. I'm often the only candidate in attendance. Which, again, is pretty remarkable given how many people are supposedly "campaigning." But don't be fooled, folks. Don't get hung up on my name, or lack of party affiliation. I am Max Mania, and I am the only serious candidate for Benton County Commissioner. I am the only one who appears to be putting in the time the job requires, and that the voters deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment