Saturday, March 24, 2018

Kids These Days

I'm just getting in from the truly spectacular March for Our Lives event (it was way, way more than just a march) downtown. I got there to help set up just after 7 AM, and spent the next six hours marveling at the positive energy and huge crowd that turned out. (I'd guesstimate there were around 3,500 people there.) Even with some small glitches and delays in setting it up - ones that were beyond anyone's control - it was a notably inspiring event. I hope the news coverage of it does it justice.

Beyond that, I also hope that the elected representatives supposedly serving the kids who arranged this do them justice, and enact some sensible gun control measures. Heads up, congressional candidates: There's a whole generation coming up who aren't going to be fooled by or satisfied with your usual "thought and prayers" routine. Get voting right, or get voted out. Business as usual won't cut it anymore. Don't say you haven't been warned.

 
In closing, let me give a special shout out to Grace who was the driving force and vision behind the Corvallis march. Without meaning to slight anyone in particular, let me just say that this 16 year old young woman is a great deal more focused and organized than a lot of the full-on adults I deal with. Good job, Grace! You should be proud of yourself - and be aware of how many community members are proud of you.

And, needless to say, a big THANK YOU to everyone who helped make this happen, and to all the people who showed up for the event. And hey - it didn't rain!

1 comment:

  1. Finger on the scale department: I noted that the GT coverage of the March in today's paper made sure to end by noting, apropos of nothing much, that the mayor and Vince Adams attended the event. Vince Adams is, of course, running for County Commissioner.

    To be sure, I saw Vince at the event, for a couple of minutes, and I also saw Nancy Wyse, who is also in that race. I didn't see any other candidates (or current elected officials) even though I circulated through the crowd several times, making sure there was no trouble.

    The part of running for office that is least comfortable for me is the need to engage in levels of self-disclosure that can come perilously close to bragging. I am not comfortable with bragging. So, for my own comfort, and for clarity, let me just say that I offer the following only as a way to compare and contrast various candidates for office.

    Vince and Nancy have kids; I do not. I assume that makes the issue of school shootings and violence one that could be very personal for them. And it is no knock on either of them, or anyone else, to say they "just" showed up and attended the event. Because, clearly, the whole idea of putting together an event like this is to get people to turn out for it.

    But, in terms of community involvement, and commitment, I would like to note that I was the only candidate who took part in planning this event, who spent hours ahead of time helping get it off the ground. I was the only one who volunteered to work at the event, and I spent six hours doing so. That had nothing to do with being a candidate for office; it's just who I am. (I first volunteered at a community event here, the PRIDE Festival, before I'd even moved to Corvallis full-time.) Grace is an amazing young woman, and it was an honor to help her bring her vision for this event to life. I just wish I'd had a little more time to devote to it, frankly.

    My point being...One of the sharp contrasts in this race is between candidates who show up to be seen (or who don't show up at all), and a candidate who not only shows up, but WORKS to make these types of events happen here. In other words, do you want a candidate who puts in a few minutes of public "face time," or a candidate who puts in some sweat equity?

    Let me put it this way: I work full-time at my "real" job. But I still put in dozens of hours a month in what can be lumped together under the "community service" banner. I stay active, committed, and connected. Now, just imagine how much I could get done if WORKING FOR YOU was my full-time job. I assure you, I would still be breaking a sweat on that sweat equity just about every day.

    ReplyDelete