Saturday, April 14, 2018

No More Black Coffee?

I'm not a coffee drinker...And I don't really patronize corporate stores like theirs much anyway...But you know, I wouldn't be surprised if now a whole lot of black folks in this country are suddenly going to join my Starbucks-free lifestyle.

I mean, really, this is what it's come to? Black people can't even sit and wait for a friend in a coffee shop without getting arrested? In Philadelphia? Really?

You can't blame this one on Trump, people. Racism is our foundational sin in this country, and it's something white people have been pretty lax about addressing overall. I've been with my (beautiful, brilliant and brown) wife for almost two decades now, and have thus absolutely been aware of the many, many ways that racism infects our society and our systems.

And dealing with racism means just that: Making systemic changes. Anything less attributes too much of the burden to individuals, while keeping in place a legal but immoral status quo that only serves to keep us separated from each other, and from ourselves.

Until we honestly deal with the sin of racism in this country, none of us will ever truly be free. In the meantime, as mentioned above, we can all decide to, at the very least, be Starbucks-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment