Sunday, April 8, 2018

Without Principles, What's the Point?

I've spent a lot of the weekend at the Radical Imagination Conference being held on the OSU campus, and I'll be headed back over there in just a bit. But first, I wanted to share a helpful reminder I received yesterday at the "Transformative Organizing Workshop," which was facilitated by Olmeca. These short principles really helped me focus in on what my campaign should look like, and I thought these were a great way to capture the essence of what I want my work to be about.

And so, here are the Principles of Zapatismo:

1) To serve, not serve yourself

2) To convince, not defeat

3) Everything for everyone, nothing for ourselves

4) To construct, not destroy

5) To ask questions while walking

6) To obey, not dictate

7) To propose, not impose

8) To come down, not up

9) We want a world where many worlds fit

Now, I will freely admit I'm still struggling a bit with number five, but as for the rest, they're clear and beautiful. Please read them, ponder, and discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment